Go to top
24-hour Advice Line: 0300 30 32 442

Compare Us (Old)

Employment Services

MDS logoTrade UnionsOther medical defence
Terms and Conditions of Service: Advice and Representation yesyesno
Grievance Procedures: Advice and Representation yesyesno
Disciplinary process or legal action due to employment: Advice and Representation yesyesno
Grievances or Disciplinaries from non-NHS employment: Advice and Representationyesnono
For Trainees: Advice and Representation in training issues e.g. ARCP appeals yes yes no

Clinical Defence

MDS logoTrade UnionsOther medical defence
Clinical and Professional Regulatory issues (GMC/MPTS): Advice and Representation yesnoyes
Clinical Indemnity for negligence/malpractice as part of NHS employment1 yesnoyes
Clinical Indemnity for income from NHS Category 2 work2 yesnoyes
Clinical Indemnity for non-NHS (private) clinical work no3noyes4
Criminal cases related to professional work: Advice and Representation yesnoyes
For GMPs/GDPs: Advice and Representation in performers list issue yesno5yes6
For Trainees: Advice and Representation in training issues e.g. ARCP appealsyesyesno
1. All clinical work involving the care of patients as part of NHS employment is indemnified by NHS Resolution via the CNST and CNSGP where applicable (Category 1 work).
2. The insured income from Category 2 work varies between different MDOs as part of their standard membership. Please contact us for further information.
3. MDS can provide non-discretionary indemnity underwritten by Lloyds of London through our partners. Contact us for an individual quote.
4. Dependent on terms and conditions of the policy and may be subject to additional premiums.
5. Discretionary help may be available.
6. Discretionary help may be available if related to patient complaints only.


MDS is delighted to receive a number of new applications recommended by our members and as a special thank you, we are offering a gift voucher worth £20 to you!

In order to avail of this offer, please continue to recommend us to your friends/colleagues. After we receive a completed application with your recommendation, we will send out a gift voucher for each new member who joins us.

Frequently asked questions

Do I need indemnity insurance?

You must make sure that you have adequate and appropriate insurance or indemnity arrangements in place, covering the full scope of your medical practice in the UK.

If you work for an NHS Trust or Board, indemnity is provided through the Clinical Negligence Scheme for Trusts (CNST) in England.

If you carry out any private or independent practice, you must arrange adequate and appropriate insurance or indemnity (even if this work takes place on NHS or HSC body premises). This applies even if the work is in addition to work you do for an NHS or HSC body. If you are treating NHS patients privately, you must check with your NHS or HSC body employer to confirm that indemnity is in place.

For GPs working in England and Wales, this is included in your normal NHS contracts of employment. For Locum GPs in Wales, you must be registered on the All Wales Locum Register (AWLR). CNSGP scheme is valid only for GPs in England and Wales. For Scotland, you must ensure you are covered under CNORIS.

You will still need to maintain membership with a medical defence body (MDO) and trade union to cover services such as patient complaints, regulatory (GMC) and disciplinary proceedings, employment and contractual disputes.

For more information on the Clinical Negligence Scheme for NHS Trusts and General Practice, refer to the latest GMC guidelines here.

Get in touch

If you require a quote or have a query, please submit your request using this form.

For indicative rates and to join online, see: mdsuk.org/membership-types/